Pages

Thursday, December 27, 2007

The Long Awaited Moment

I always like to go to bookstore.One of my favourite being the Borders at The Curve.I have never tell anyone about this, bookstore especially this one seems to have some sort of charm that works on me.Everytime i walked into them,i felt belonged as if i have walked into the embrace of my lover.And when i smell the wonderful scent of books,i felt the special pull that nothing but these books have on me.Perhaps it was the environment,the atmosphere,the decorations that put me at ease and prompted me to fall in love with it but who cares as long as i still like it.

I haven been reading much as i have been too busy playing ever since my holidays started and not to mention my work which has been piling up for some time.I have many books waiting to be read at home but that didnt stop me from hanging out at Borders at Times Square.Oh one thing now i remember,one of my fren asked me...dont u ever feel bored always being by yourself?I was amused because clearly you dont know me enough if you would ask that question.In places like this,i felt too belonged to feel bored just because i'm alone and besides,i already have one of the many best things in life as my company.So going back,as i was just flipping through books,making a new to-buy list,i suddenly realised a man standing in front of me.I looked up and looked the man in his face.Familiar i thought but who exactly..then after bout 5 seconds...i yelled "Sir!!"The man smiled at me and say "What u doing here?" as if he cant believed his eyes for seeing me.This man who made my day was my former math tuition teacher,a man in his fifties with most grey hairs covering his head,big dark circles under his eyes,eyes that didnt seem to be able to focus on 1 point when he talks so u thought he wasnt looking at you when he is.And one thing that was really interesting..he oftens speak with such excitement especially when things are really profound.A very interesting character to me...

Anyway it all begins when he showed me the books he bought,one of it was written by a former St John's student and again i heard him talked with such passion.And then he accused me of just knowing C.S Lewis because he wrote the Chronicles of Narnia..And i was like"What nonsense!"Maybe i dont know all about literature but i surely know more than that.Just because i'm young doesnt mean i should be undermined.So we got into discussing more about our shared interest-literature.We talked about Shakespeare...he showed me around in the bookstore on must-read literature books which includes Watt Whitman,John Milton,Marlowe....then we went searching for french essayist like Victor Hugo and again he introduced me some must-read books...poetry,essays,plays and many others..We spent almost half an hour in the bookstore together talking,sharing and he shared his favourite line like "I celebrate myself..."

I cant tell you enough how i appreciate that short and pleasant meeting with this wise old man.I learned more with him in just half an hour than without him for 1 month.My long awaited moment,to meet someone like him who teach and show me what i didnt read and know,for me to share how much i love literature,love Shakespeare,Charles Dickens,Jane Austen without the fear that i would bored him.Someone who already lived in the world i dream of indulging myself.Someone who afterall appreciates literature and comprehend them like i do or much better.

After this wonderful day,i promised myself i ll read all those books.I know they are all waiting for me.They are the one i can instantly fall in love with even if i dun know them well as compared to the other things that i forced myself to like them.Well...call me a nerd,a freak or whatever you like as it never bothers me much as compared to the sympathy i felt for those who failed to like any book in their entire life.So whatever really...There is so little time for so many books....

0 comments: